Technology Stuff

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Flash Cookies Gaining Steam

In my original post about LSO, I tried to give a brief update on what they were and how to block them. Since that time, their use has become more invasive, and Adobe's tool reached the point where it just doesn't work for day to day use.

I got very frustrated with the Settings Manager that Adobe provides. The key reasons are:
  • It doesn't integrate with my browser (Firefox)
  • It doesn't always save my preferences
  • I have to go back to it and manage each site's data regularly
A couple of days ago, I just got fed up and went looking. At the time of my last post, there wasn't much out there to help manage this problem. Today, there is, so I wanted to share what I found.

First of all, if you want some general education on LSO and what they are for, please see this website.

Next, if you want to be proactive about keeping this data off of you computer, you need to be using Firefox along with the BetterPrivacy extension. If you aren't using Firefox yet, you should be. Not because it's faster, not because it's open source, or any of that jazz. Use it because it is flexible and extensible by the open source community. Without that capability, the ability to remove LSO data would probably not be possible at this time.

No comments: