Technology Stuff

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Home Media, Part 1

I've been watching the home media craze from a distance. My friends are buying media servers and media extenders and networked TiVos and on and on. But, I just haven't jumped into it. I have been quite satisfied with my DirecTivo with a modded hard-drive for extra capacity. It's not HD. It's not networked. It is years old and it just keeps working. I have all the movie channels and I do the occasional RedBox. Life is simple.

Unfortunately, that doesn't last forever. Now, I'm itching to do something different. I have some growing storage needs on my home network. I've got a PS3 that I use to play me some Call of Duty with my 10 year old friend and some guy named A_Trillion_Ninjas. I've got a growing sensitivity to risk and how my data backup strategy is working out.

I've just got this growing laundry list of fun little projects that take about 5 times as long as they should. The more I thought about it, the more they all became related.

I thought I would share my adventures here. Maybe you can relate. Maybe you think I'm an idiot. It's all good...

No comments: